Old June 24th 05, 07:06 AM
rw

RichA wrote:

> Do we really want this kind of thing on
> the road?

We need something because, in case you haven't been paying attention to
oil prices, gasoline is getting scarce, and it's only going to get
scarcer. Sometimes cold, hard facts are tough to face.

The real problem with hydrogen isn't storage or combustibility. Those
can be managed, albeit with some inconvenience and compromise. The
problem is that hydrogen isn't a primary energy source. It doesn't come
from a hole in the ground. It has to be made from something else --
currently either from natural gas, which process is dirty and produces
CO2, or from electrolysis of water, which is expensive, requiring
electrical power.

My vision of our best energy future is safe, modern nuclear plants
(augmented with wind, tidal, solar, and whatever else can be made
economical) that generate electrical power efficiently enough to make
hydrogen feasible. If you crash and explode, so be it. Slow down, at
least in traffic.