Old January 20th 05, 02:15 AM
Ratbert

Steve wrote:
> On 19 Jan 2005 12:59:30 -0800, "Girmann" > wrote:
>

>>Since my '99 SL2 has been going strong for 6 years with no major
>>problems (2 sets of front discs, 1 set of rear drums, 2 sets of motor
>>mounts, 4 tires) and I'm about to hit 100k this week, I took it into
>>the dealership to get a once over to see what they thought I needed.
>>Since I haven't had to do much to this car, I was wondering what was
>>real, what was possible to do myself, and what was dealer profit.
>>
>>Suggested repairs:
>>
>>1) Fuel Filter
>>2) Wire set (spark plug wires?)
>>3) Serpentine belt
>>4) T/A mount (I think they want to replace the motor mounts again, how
>>critical is it if the motor mounts are worn?)
>>5) Throttle body and decarbonization service (pure profit???)
>>6) Power steering flush
>>7) 30k service (coolant flush, oil change, transmission fluid change,
>>tire rotation & balance, spark plugs)
>>
>>I feel pretty confident that I could tackle the spark plugs and wires
>>(if I had to). Not really willing to change the automatic transaxle
>>fluid (I don't want the mess.) Dealer wants to charge $1089 for the
>>whole mess.
>>
>>Any ideas?
>>
>>Girmann

> Big time rip-off. Do you want to "flush" you hard earned money down
> your dealers ..... Change your fuel filter (expensive every 100K)
> your fluids, filters, and spark plugs if you haven't already. Tranny
> drains just like the motor and the filter is under the air box. If
> your willing to get you hands a little dirty you can save yourself
> $800.00. but if your money grows on trees go for it.
>
> Steve

As Steve says, the trasnmission fluid is a cinch. It's much easier than
the oil and filter on this car.

The torque axis mount (which you've already had done) may need to be
done again. You will notice a big difference if it is indeed bad. You
can do it with a jack and a deep socket (I forget the size).

The serpentine belt is simple. All you need is a socket handle (no
sockets).

Throttle body cleaning is probably a good idea, but you can do that
yourself in ten minutes for the price of a can of cleaner.

Spark plugs are trivial, especially if you're already replacing the wires.

I've never done a power steering flush. I wonder if that's recommended
in the owner's manual. If not, I'd skip it.

Coolant flush & oil change aren't that hard if you have the stuff to do it.

Same with tire rotation.

I've never done the fuel filter, as it's a pricey item. Last time I
asked the guys at the Saturn dealer, they said it wasn't something that
normally needed changing on this car.