Old August 15th 06, 02:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

Default Power Steering Gear Box options

I was told by a local steering and suspension shop that the 'new'
saganaw boxes basically had a defect that allows them to leak way to
easily and early in their life. It has to do with the new fancy 2 piece
adjuster plug they use that holds the seal.

The older boxes had a one piece plug and took forever to start leaking.
My 20 year old one is still just weeping slightly.

When I helped a friend fix his leak, the shop gave us the 'old style'
one piece plug and seal kit to replace the fancy new one. It worked
great!

Based on what I have read here and seen in person, I wouldn't go for a
used box if I was going to replace rather than reseal.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's