Old June 2nd 05, 11:18 AM
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled wrote:

: "Daniel Alsaker" > wrote in message
: ...
:>
(Rich Wales) wrote in
:> g:

:> What the hell kind of a scary-ass country do you live in, where a police
:> officer might freak out if you reached for the glove compartment???

: Right here in the USA, you need to be pretty careful. There was an article
: in the Houston
: Chronicle in recent months detailing some 60-70 odd shootings of unarmed
: individuals by
: the police. Several teenagers have been killed. Police got spooked, they
: say.

: If a policeman pulls you over here, you are to stay in the car, keep your
: hands up and clearly visible. No quick moves.

: If you carry a concealed firearm, you hand the policeman the license along
: with your drivers
: license.

: I guess our registration documentation is the window sticker. We do not
: have paper registrations
: any more, as far as I know.

: I would not keep the title in the car, for sure.

Yep, similar situation here in Chicago... A officer friend of mine advises...

1) If your on the phone, end the call and place phone on the dash
2) Turn car off
3) Remove keys and place on dash in plain view
4) Turn on interior light if dark outside
5) Stay in the car unless asked to get out
6) Don't rustle around for DL or insurance card (wait until asked)
7) Put hands on steering wheel at 10 and 2 position
8) Sit relatively still while waiting for officer.
9) Lastly, be polite

A friend of mine said he fell asleep while the officer was writing his
speeding ticket... he claimed the officer was really mad when he had to
wake him up... so, stay awake, no matter how long they take to write your
ticket ;-)

--
John Nelson
Chicago Area Paddling/Fishing Page