Old June 2nd 05, 06:47 AM
Trey

"Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message

> "Somebody" > wrote in message
>>
>> "bfd" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>> > I agree if the CSL clutch is "wearing out", then its due to driver
>> > abuse. The BMW 850CSL clutch is the "upgrade" for the E39 M5 and E52
>> > Z8:
>> >
>> > http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/flywheel/V8/index.htm
>> >
>> > As the ad says, this clutch is setup to give "normal" lifespan
>> > comparable to standard BMW models, 50K-80K miles depending on driving
>> > style. If you're getting less mileage on your clutch than this, its
>> > due to driver abuse.....
>> >

>> 50K to 80k miles? I just swapped mine out 'cause the throwout bearing
>> went -- 344,000km, could have put it back in but I had bought a kit

> anyway.
>>

> I second that. I have a '94 325i and I replaced the factory clutch at
> 210,000 miles, and I did it because I was tired of listening to the
> throw-out bearing howl its complaints everytime I depressed the pedal.
>
> I'll accept the idea that the 8 Series and the 3 Series are not even
> remotely similar once you get behind the Roundelo on the hood, but I
> reject
> the notion that the standard is 50- to 80-thousand miles on a clutch.

What kind of driving do you do? if its day after day of heavy metro traffic,
I can see it wearing out faster than if you commuted though the countryside.
When Im on the interstate on my motorcycle, I can cover over 100 miles
without touching the clutch. Get in the city, and the clutch gets used every
20 feet