Old June 1st 05, 07:39 PM
Somebody

"Griff" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I understand that the CSI is a manual, but the engine has so much
> torque that it continually wears out the clutch (at least the friction
> disk between the two plates). I don't know whether the non-CSI manuals
> suffer from similar wear.

If that's true, you can blame the owner for abusing it. A clutch shouldn't
wear twice as much when the engine has twice as much power -- from rest, the
extra power should be applied after the clutch plates are engaged, not while
they are engaging. Weight here will be more of a wear factor than engine
power. At shift time, a properly matched shift does not wear the clutch
plates at all, regardless of how much power is available.

Do a lot of mashed throttle drop clutch takeoffs and the extra power will
indeed wear the clutch harder. Which is abuse. As is slipping the clutch
on shifts, where extra power will again cause extra wear.

-Russ.