Old March 4th 05, 01:20 PM
C. E. White

tfandango wrote:

> Hi-
>
> I went to O'Reilly last night and bought a fuel filter for my 2000
> Explorer (SOHC Engine VIN E). It cost all of 6 bucks. I've got some
> conflicting info though and I want to sort that out before
> proceeding...
>
> 1) The guy told me I didn't need a tool to extract the old filter. He
> said I just need to break off the nubs on the plastic clips and yank it
> out. Sound correct?
>
> 2) The filter itself suggests replacement after 10K miles. Ford always
> says 30K. Did I get a super cheap one or something?
>
> 3) I skimmed through the fuel filter replacement section of the Haynes
> manual and I it said that the filter should last the life of the car.
> This can't be the case can it? Is that a typo or is this for some
> special engine which I do not have?

I looked at the maintenance schedule for both by 1997 and my
2003 Expeditions. The schedule called for 30,000 fuel filter
changes (same schedule applies to Explorers). I seem to
recall a TSB recommending a shorter interval but can't find
it. I have mine changed every 25,000 miles at the same time
I have the transmission fluid changed.

Regards,

Ed White