Old March 9th 05, 04:27 PM
Bob G.

..

>Make each engineer that designs go out and do a full maintenance on the car
>and major work like pulling the engine, pulling the transmission, and
>pulling the rear suspension. Have them do the minor repair stuff, too, like
>replacing a fuel pump, replacing a water pump, etc. Inside stuff, too, like
>changing the radio, lights on the dash, etc.

========================
Hey Tom.... I know you are very knowledgeable about Corvettes...

So I know you know that the 1st rule when doing any repairs on a
Corvette is to disassemble the entire car....

My next door neighbor who was until last year, when he retired, Was
a Factory Rep ..for of all things ..GMC Trucks.. Plus he was a "car
guy"...which according to him was common 30 years ago BUT not now..
the newer reps act more like insurance adjusters..and accountants..oh
well !.

BUT
Over the years the two of us have had many long discussions about
the subject of working on our vehicles.... and the problems of
"getting to" a lot of the parts....

Basic explanation... Those engineers are handed a design from the
"art" department... and given the task of stuffing everything INSIDE
the envelope so to speak...

IT would be a hell of lot nicer if those engineers did their
thing...then handed their finished work to the styling department and
gave them the task of WRAPING the package...with a body

Ain't gona happen... so I just keep a supply of Band aids in the
toolbox so I can deal with all my scraped knuckles ..

==========

Another Poster asked if Drum brakes and Power Steering were
"gadgets" that could be removed.... Well on that score I have to
admit that I like Disc brakes ( have added them to the front of both
my 64 Vette and to my 68 Chevelle) but I do not really need power
brakes ... Power Steering is another thing I live without on both of
these cars (the Chevelle is a Tank btw) ... and I have seriously
though about fixing the chronic leaking power steering control valve
on all 3 of my sharks by just removing the power steering
components...and be done with it...

Bob G.