Old October 30th 04, 12:02 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
AlanG > wrote:
> The blower on my 97 528 has stopped working. There is air coming through
> (low volume) but when I select the screen demister or select a high fan
> speed nothing happens. Any suggestions? The fuses seem fine. Is this a
> home repair job?

Assuming the display is still normal, the likely cause is the resistor
which controls the fan speed. It's a very common failure.

It's located between the heater and the bulkhead on the (UK) driver's
side. You need to remove the panel at the top of the driver's footwell,
and the carpet strip on the side of the transmission tunnel.

You can't see the unit - only the plug. Obtaining a new one before
starting will make identifying slightly easier. There's a clip you need to
depress before removing - a bit fiddly. An agile teenager (if you can find
one with the patience) might help. ;-)

IIRC, the part is called the final stage resistor and costs about 50 gbp.
Think it's a dealer only option, but worth trying Eurocarparts.

I've had three in my 528. The latest one has lasted best, so may be a
better design.

--
*Can fat people go skinny-dipping?

Dave Plowman London SW