Old October 26th 04, 09:28 PM
B. Sanders

"Z3 Buttshot" > wrote in message
> Mid 99 change mostly dealt with shape of the rear fenders, and trunk
> lid and rear tail lights. The later cars rear fenders are "humped"
> shoulders. Brings to mind a football player with pads.

IMO, the redesigned Z3 rear quarters draw design cues from the legendary AC
Cobra roadsters:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~luukb/cobra02.jpg

The pronounced, feminine "waist", just aft of the doors on the Cobra, is
subtly captured in the redesigned Z3 body styling.

In general, the Z3 draws many design cues from the classic Jaguar XKE
roadsters. Note the subtle hood bulge, fender flares, rear quarter shapes in
these photos:

http://www.autoweek.com/images/class...20856589196927
http://www.autoweek.com/images/class...86724233548349

I do wish that BMW had equipped the Z3 with an integrated flip-up hard boot
for the convertible top, like the ones in the early Corvettes:

http://www.vintagecorvettes.com/57.html

Notice how seamlessly the flip-up hard boot integrates with the
chrome-trimmed seat surrounds. This is a very elegant design. Also note how
the exhaust ports are integrated into the rear fenders. My father has a
Vette exactly like this one. IMO, it's one of the most beautiful roadsters
ever made.

Aside from minor niggles with the convertible top design, I couldn't be
happier with my Impala Brown 2000 Z3 2.5L. It's the roadster I've always
wanted, but with handling and safety features (DSC, ABS, side air bags) that
none of the classic roadsters possess.