Old June 18th 04, 02:26 PM
Wurm

"Justin" <justin1138@REMOVEnet> wrote in message
57.130...
> > Last time I checked, Mandrake was supposed to be the easiest for a
> > Windows user to try to get into Linux with. I've also used SuSe in the
> > past with no complaints although redhat annoyed me for some reason but
> > it is very popular and you should find plenty of resources if you need
> > help with it. And of course they are all free which is kinda sweet
> > (but who the hell has every payed for an MS OS at home eh?)

> LOL. My ex-gf's mother brought her Win98 CD over and installed win98 on
> my ex gf's PC. Irony is that my ex gf's mother was worth 5 million
> dollars (inherited from her grandparents)! If the rich won't pay for
> their OS, who will?
>
> I have a legit XP on my Athlon XP system (came with the system). I put
> it on my second system, a Compaq Deskpro sff 450 mhz P2, but it only
> stays on the HD for 30 days before deactivating itself and telling you
> to call a Microsoft rep. to activate it. Will Windows allow you to have
> XP on 2 systems? I think probably not, so I didn't even bother to call.
> I just installed a legit Win98SE on it (have it on CD). But I'd much
> rather have XP on the Compaq also. I think I'll install a flavor of
> Linux on the Compaq and learn about linux.

hehehe, another option is that if you happen to use any Windows on your PC
at work (if you work in an office environment of course!) you are actually
legally entitled to make a copy for personal use at home free of charge. The
only technical stipulation is that only one of the two PCs is allowed to be
running at one time (although I dont believe they track this).