Old July 16th 05, 06:46 PM
Percival P. Cassidy

On 07/16/05 12:33 pm Ed Stasiak tossed the following ingredients into
the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

> My friends father-in-law has a 23' boat that when it isn't
> at the marina during the summer months, is stored at a lot
> a few miles away for $35 a month.
>
> If he were to store it in his driveway, (can't get it in
> the back yard) not only would it look like hell but the
> trailer tongue would block the entire sidewalk.

That would undoubtedly be a violation. But supposing it doesn't block
the sidewalk?

>>Selective enforcement is improper in a free society.

> The ordnance in my town (and I assume this is pretty much
> the case throughout Michigan) is that one can park their
> toy in the driveway for 4 days at a time.

I don't think that can be a general rule in MI, because the township
code here (Holland Twp.) requires provision of only two parking *spaces*
for each residence. I didn't see anything to suggest that those spaces
must be enclosed. I deduce that one may park two (or even more) vehicles
in one's driveway. Our neighbors across the street have regularly had
four or more vehicles parked in their driveway, their triple garage
being full of other stuff. Many other neighbors have boats parked in
their driveways or alongside their houses, some all year round. No problem.

> But during the summer when people are regularly boating
> or camping, most people just leave their toys in the
> driveway all season long so they can easily move in and
> out and nobody complains about it.
>
> It's only during the off-season that one can't store
> a boat or camper in the driveway or backyard and in the
> northern 'burbs of Detroit, where many people have 1-2+
> acre lots, this rule is almost never enforced.
>
> And even here in a heavily urbanized city, I see many
> people getting away with storing pop-up campers or
> smaller boats all year long in their backyards (usually
> on a cement pad tucked away behind the garage).
>
> I stored my friends pop-up camper on my driveway (in
> the back yard) all last winter and none of my neighbors
> had a problem with it, but then I don't get in feuds
> with them.

Perce