Old May 31st 05, 12:40 PM
TeGGeR®

"Elle" > wrote in
ink.net:

> "TeGGeR®" > wrote
> E wrote
>> > Ha. Good one. Gotta say that's pretty much how I feel. When I next
>> > need a new car (in the next one to six years, I figure), I am going
>> > to do my best to do it all by email, with a little help from the
>> > latest feature USAA's (= my insurer's) car buying service offers.
>> > Car salesmen don't like dealing with a woman buying economy and I
>> > sure as heck loathe dealing with these mostly misogynist idiots.

>> Why are they "mysogynist"? I am curious as to your evidence.

> I have read two articles about guys in the business. I worked in the
> business. I took some classes with boys in the business. Reports are
> that males salesmen do take advantage (financially speaking, and so to
> speak) of women with more success than they take advantage of men.

"Reports are..."? You mean those articles the newspapers occasionally print
where they send a male and a female shopper into a delaership one after the
other and report their reception?

It's been my experience, many times now, that car salesmen AND saleswomen
are ALL sharks. Women shoppers tend to be an easy mark because they are
less likely to resist pressure, EVEN from saleswomen. The saleswomen are
after your money exactly as the men. No different. It's the money, not you.

Most women are also not used to high-pressure situations of the sort found
in car deals, and do not have the mental makeup to *want* to deal with that
pressure. And then there's the female tendency to want to avoid
confrontation and want to get other people to like them, which makes them
more likely to agree to something just to get a sticky issue past. My wife
was very happy to let me do the searching and negotiating when we were
replacing her MR2.

Women tend as a class to be far, far less knowledgeable about cars than
men, so they are easier to hoodwink. Many men know a *little* about cars,
but most women know ZERO. Just because you are an exception does not mean
most other women are like you. They are most assuredly NOT. Most women have
absolutely ZERO interest in cars.

> have studied with men in engineering.

I've been around engineers most of my life.

> I have witnessed the porn
> hanging in car dealerships, and the vulgar talk about women. They are
> mostly misogynist, like I said.

You don't know much about guys, it sounds. Porn and vulgar talk may be
distasteful to many women, but neither even remotely suggests "misogyny".
They are part-and-parcel of male life in varying degrees, and has nothing
to do with any respect we feel and exhibit for the women in our lives. The
lower the socioeconomic class, the more prevalent explicitly vulgar
behavior is evident.

This is one reason men had male-only clubs. Before the feminists started
meddling.

> I received an incredibly crude, vulgar email from someone in this
> group whom you evidently adore, because I asked technical questions
> and he couldn't answer them all. So this was his response.

Now that's hardly fair. First off, you're making an allegation without
proof or names, and secondarily somehow insinuating that I bear some sort
of responsibility in the matter.

I am not responsible for email somebody else sends you. What if I've never
seen this side of whoever it is you're talking about?

> There are exceptions, but I would have been better off in my lifetime
> knowing this tendency in advance.

Life is a harsh teacher and hindsight is 20-20. I can (and will) say the
same about other matters that have hurt me deeply as well.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/