Old November 28th 04, 10:58 AM
Tony Rickard

Default Tyres again

Having had to change all four tyres on my 156 V6 I engaged in a few
conversations with tyre sellers. This view that rear tyres should be better
than fronts on FWDs really seems to have taken hold in the instructions
coming from the manufacturers.

One seller tried to persuade me to have harder compounds on the front so
they would last longer and ensure the best grip was at the back.

In the end I plumped for Bridgestone S03s which I am really pleased with,
much better grip than the Contisports especially in the wet.

I am still of the view that if people want to abruptly lift off or brake on
reverse camber tightening bends the balance of tyres isn't going to save
them and that the real enemy of FWDs is understeer.

My personal view is that the manufacturers are simply covering themselves
from the general public. If people understeer off then they are driving too
fast if they oversteer off it is the tyres fault.

Cheers
Tony