Old July 23rd 05, 10:53 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

"Steve B." > wrote in message
> On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 02:49:38 +0200, epeart
> > wrote:
>

> >I tried Recharging the A/C on my girlfriends 1999 Dodge Caravan Sport

today I got the kit " charger hose and 3 cans of 134a.
> > my end result It blows nothing but hot air. It was cooler before I

tried to recharge it. It would only take half a can and it's the
> >small can so decided to bleed out what was left inthe line by pressing in

the valve it still would only take half and it is the right connection
> > it can only fit one way am I doing something wrong? please help before

my girlfriend kills me

> #1 Venting the refrigerant from your system is a federal crime (a
> violation of the clear air act) . Even if you don't care about the
> environment it probably isn't the best idea to admit to a federal
> crime on a world wide public newsgroup.

Hey Steve, I just used part of a can of Dust Off Freeze Spray
this afternoon to find a thermal intermittent on a radio - the
stuff is 100% R134a - I guess I must not care about the
environment? The instructions
on the can say to apply directly to components to locate
thermal intermittents, they don't say anything about recovery.

I am confused about caring about the environment - the front
of the can says 100% Ozone Safe - and I just bought it brand
new about a week ago.

My wife also wants to know if she hates the environment
too - her hairspray can uses R134a as the propellant.

My kid also wants to know if he hates the environment too - he painted
his bike with spray paint last week - propellant is also r134a
in that can.

> In all honesty you are probably in over your head on this one. After
> venting the system the dryer really should be replaced and the system
> vacuumed.

What the hell? If you vent the system down to atmospheric then how
exactly does appreciable amount of outside air and moisture get in
and ruin the dryer? Unless you vent it then remove the schrader valve
perhaps and drive around for the next week with the system open.

> Your also dealing with a $400 compressor that you can
> easily ruin by adding an improper amount of refrigerant or oil.

That much is true - if he gets a new compressor - but you forgot
the money for all the extra parts and time he needs when he
fragments the compressor and it dumps metal filings into the refrigerant
lines.

Ted