Old March 6th 05, 11:24 PM

Default Brake upgrade for towing with a 97 Explorer

I've been searching this group and other Explorer resources on the
Internet but I haven't found much good advice on upgrading the brakes
on my Explorer.

I have a 97 Limited, 4.0 SOHC, 4WD and I plan on pulling a trailer
cross country this summer (I'm guessing about 3,500 lbs but I'm not
sure). As far as I know most small trailers, such as UHauls, don't
have brakes so it is up to the towing vehicle to stop the trailer. I
found some Power Stop rotors at Summit Racing for $76 per front rotor,
the pads are an additional $30. Is this enough to stop an extra 2 tons
of weight? The front calipers are 2 piston calipers while the rears
are single piston. Should I sink money into high performance calipers
as well? Do I need to buy high performance rotors and pads for the
rear?

As far as the rest of the truck goes, I plan on installing a trailer
hitch, I recently flushed and filled the coolant, it has a tranny
cooler with recently flushed and filled ATF Mercon V, power steering
cooler, I'm not sure but I think the rear axle is 3.55:1. Does anyone
have any other suggestions or advice on prepping or upgrading to safely
tow a trailer?

Thanks,
Dave Earle