Old July 11th 06, 03:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

Default 98 CR-V Rear door lock problem/safety hazard

wrote:
> E Meyer wrote:
> > If the button won't move, it sounds like the latch is jammed in a partially
> > open position. Forcing the lock button with a vice-grip will almost
> > certainly bend/break something and make it worse. Push the button all the
> > way down, then try sharply pulling and releasing the inner, and then the
> > outer handles and letting them snap back. If the button will pull up after
> > you do that, the door should open. Otherwise, something is already damaged
> > or dislodged internally and you will have to find somebody to take it apart.
> >

> Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a try when I get home from work
> - the CR-V is the wife's car.
>
> BTW - I did not apply excessive force when attempting to pull the lock
> nub up manually. I'm quite sure I didn't bend or break anything in the
> process.

UPDATE:

E Meyer - your suggestion worked! Thank you. I pushed the lock nub
down and pulled sharply on the latch rod from the inside (I had already
removed the latch from the door panel). I was then able to unlock and
open the door.

I still plan to remove the door panel to lubricate the latch as I think
that is causing the problem. But, at least now I can open the door to
get the panel off. Thanks again.