Old January 25th 05, 02:38 PM
Don Stauffer in Minneapolis

Charles wrote:

> On an older diesel like my '85 GM 6.2L, what exactly happens when you press
> down on the accelerator pedal? I understand that it controls fuel in some
> way, but how? As I understand it, the injector pump controls the specific
> charge of fuel to each cylinder for each firing. If this is changed then,
> all you are doing is changing the mixture. It doesn't seem like you want
> the accelerator pedal to be a rich/lean controller. Does it somehow control
> the total flow rate of the fuel, and then distribute it evenly among the
> firings? Maybe the engine would naturally adjust its RPM until the mixture
> was correct?
>
> Any insight would be helpful. I've searched all over the web and can't find
> the answer to this.

Yes, in the standard type of industrial Diesel engine, the fuel mixture
IS varied. Except at full power, the Diesel runs on a VERY lean
mixture. The inherent capability of compression ignition allows the use
of such lean mixtures. I am not sure if there is any throttle in auto
Diesels, which do have some differences compared to big industrial
Diesels in some way. But the later only control mixture.