Old December 17th 04, 06:47 AM
Cory Dunkle

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message

> >>NEED as in the lowest rung on Maslow's hierarchy.

> >Then almost no one needs a car, and applying it specifically to
> >teenagers is disingenuous.

> Hey! That's *my* word!!!
>
> And you're the one being disingenuous. It's one thing for a
> breadwinning adult to have a car to get to work, because that work
> earns the money that makes life possible. The typical suburban
> teenager does not have to work to support himself or his family; his
> needs are already taken acre of. Teenagers work because they WANT
> things, like extra clothes, entertainment, and automobiles. If they
> don't get a job, they will still have a roof over their heads, and
> food in their stomachs. Working is not a NEED for a typical suburban
> high school kid, and you know it.

So now it's a high school kid, eh? I agree, the typical high school kid
doesn't have a real job, and doesn't have much need for a car. A college
student with no practical public transportation to school needs a car to get
there. A teen who needs to go to people's houses and to small businesses to
work and gain valuable experience needs a car to get there. A high school
student doing that sort of work (like myself when I was in high school)
needs a car to get there.

A typical high school student eitehr not working, or working some lame pump
jockey or food service job doesn't 'need' a car in most cases. It is a
luxury for him.