Old April 19th 06, 01:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Default Used SW2 or SW1; Buying advice

Hoza, try limiting your questions in one post to under five million, then
ppl will have time to better answer them, k? Heres some quick answers:

I recall that early Saturns had some serious problems with oil
consumption. What years was this a problem? I am hoping to find a
1997 or later car. Was the problem fixed and if so by what model year?

DOHC had some consumption issues, but not all, ask the orig. owner.

I definitely want a 5 speed but I have heard of manual transmissions
problems. Is this true and if so what years are best/worst?

Good luck finding a man trand SW2, but they are out there. No yr pref, not
aware of problems with man trans except operator error.

I love the plastic body panels but do Saturns have any corrosion issues
with their space frames? If so, how do I check?

Never seen a spaceframe rust, but up north where salt is on roads, check
under the car on the frame and under the hood and door joints. Saturns are
rustproofed in the factory.

How long do the timing chains last? Are they difficult/expensive to
repair?

Depending on the orig owner, but the stainless timing chain is designed to
last 100+ K miles, however, it is very rare that it will ever need
replacing, we have 3 s-cars over 10K on orig chains, no probs.

How about clutches?

How about them Mets? Whats your question? Its a clutch they last as long as
clutches do when you drive normal.

Did Saturn offer any type of a sport suspenion on the SW?

SW1 = touring standard suspension, SW2 = sport tuned suspension, bigger sway
bar.

What type of fuel economy are people getting on their SW1s or SW2s?

25 mpg up to 40 depending on the driver and man or auto trans.

I notice a fair variation in published fuel economy for SWs, what years
are best? I'd like to get an SW2 if the economy doesn't suffer too
muuch.

same engine all years. 1.9L 100 or 124 hp. Gain, depends on the driver.

Can I expect a good 200,000 miles out of a well maintained SW with out
major problems?

Yes, if you also maintain it well.

What size wheels and tires do the SWs use?

14" on 1's 15" on 2's. Rims or alloys.

What can I expect to pay for a well maintained SW2 with about 75Kmi?

Search the internet and quit asking so many questions. <jk> but really, you
can find all the answers on the web. www.kbb.com is a good start.

Happy car shopping and enjoy you SW when you get it!
marx404