Old March 2nd 06, 03:07 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Weird wiring for a weird car

My first guess would be a bad connection between the cable clamp and
battery post. This connection can pass enough for the test light, but
put a small load on it and it fails so the light goes out. Put a large
load on it and it can arc so the starter can turn.

It is unlikely you have a battery that flat dead if you can start it and
drive it for an hour after it 'takes' a charge. If the battery is bad
enough to show 0 for a test light, the charger shouldn't work.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's