Old July 17th 05, 05:47 PM
Kevin McMurtrie

In article .com>,
wrote:

> Hello. I own a 2003 Accord 4-cyl and wondering what, if any
> difference, having mostly highway mileage on my car does to the
> frequency needed for my oil change? The manual recommends every 5,000
> miles/6 months. Does the fact that at least 75% of my mileage comes
> from non-stop interstate highway travel at speeds of 70 mph help or
> hurt me in terms of oil change frequency? Of course, with the long
> commute every day, I get to 5,000 miles before 6 months, and thus not
> only do I spend a ton in gas, but it seems I have to get my oil changed
> every 4 months or so, which costs more money. Any thoughts and input
> are appreciated. Thanks in advance.
>
> Amp

I used 10K mile engine oil change intervals on my 97 Civic because it
was driven almost entirely on the freeway. There wasn't the slightest
hint of engine wear at nearly 160K miles. Perfect compression, perfect
idle, no piston slap, and no signs of wear on the valves/cams. The
manual transmission (which I'd been servicing faster than the schedule),
wheel bearings, paint, and interior were what wore out enough for me to
get a new car.