Old July 17th 05, 06:37 AM

> Hello. I own a 2003 Accord 4-cyl and wondering what, if any
> difference, having mostly highway mileage on my car does to the
> frequency needed for my oil change? The manual recommends every 5,000
> miles/6 months. Does the fact that at least 75% of my mileage comes
> from non-stop interstate highway travel at speeds of 70 mph help or
> hurt me in terms of oil change frequency? Of course, with the long
> commute every day, I get to 5,000 miles before 6 months, and thus not
> only do I spend a ton in gas, but it seems I have to get my oil changed
> every 4 months or so, which costs more money. Any thoughts and input
> are appreciated. Thanks in advance.
>
> Amp

You are looking at the severe service schedule (5000).

You are not driving in severe conditions. You can go 10,000 miles.
Check your manual to confirm, but that is what the 2004 manual says,
and it is the same engine.

I wouldn't do this on 5W20 oil, regardless of Honda's recommendation,
if you are in a warm climate. In this event, I'd go with 10W30 as it
will resist breaking down better. Or go with synthetic if in a cold
climate and you want 200,000+ miles from this engine. Remember, you
can do almost anything to a car for 50,000 miles. It's the next guy
that'll have problems, or you if you keep the car a long time.

If you want to push the oil for all it's worth, I agree with another
poster that oil analysis is necessary. Otherwise, you are guessing.
Analysis will occasionally reveal some engine problem while you're
still in warranty, an added bonus.