Old July 8th 05, 08:18 PM
Catman

> Fellas, if you're on line, may I please ask a few more last minutes
> questions about this 86 Spider Veloce that I'm about to purchase here
> in Arizona.
>
> Background:
>
> $5000; the car is excellent condition (visually). 55,500 miles on the
> odometer. Lots of new parts, new tires, new battery, new exhaust
> system, etc.. Body and interior not pristine, but certainly excellent.
> I reviewed all his repair bills (quite a few of them) and he put lots
> of money into the car. Main repair was 3000 miles ago he spent about
> $5000 when he brought the car in complaining of oil leaking. They took
> the engine out, apart, patched things up, re-assembled, re-installed.
>
> Now, for some reason I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger but I
> went early this morning, had a look, took a drive, and here is what it
> boils down to below. I'm wondering if my concerns below are
> show-stoppers that you would tell me to stay away from this car or
> whether they are pretty much what all of you/us deal with when owning
> an older sports care so I should just not worry about it and have fun:
>
> 1. I notice that when I drive the car and go over a speed bump, the
> front shocks or suspension is pretty rough. He said that the rubber
> engine mounts were replaced so I'm guessing it's some other part of the
> suspension system. Pretty normal? Expensive to fix if I really had to
> do it?

May be the shocks on the way out. May just be it's an Italian 'sports' car
if you're not used to them

> 2. The transmission seems to be pretty good but I do notice that going
> from Neutral to 1st there is a slight grinding. When I go from N to
> 2nd and then to 1st it seems to be ok. I think I remember years ago a
> standard transmission that I had was similar. Is this something I
> should worry about? Expensive to fix if I really had to? What does a
> new tranny cost for this car and can I even get one if I really had to?

'They all do that, sir'

> 3. This may be normal for all (older) sports cars but I sense a certain
> amount of "fumes" .. maybe gas, maybe oil don't know . when I drive the
> car. Is this probably ok?

..

Not sure about this. It's unlikley (IMO) to be serious / expensive but if
it were mine, I'd take a good look to sneure not fuel leaking or cracks in
the exhaust manifold. If the good doctor reckons it's OK, I'd probably
trust him.

Last time I knew of something similar was when the sound deadening material
under the bonnet came loose and was gently toasting on the engine

Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7 75 TS 156 TS S2
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk