Old July 10th 05, 11:58 AM
Sam Nickaby

Default Steering hose sprays exhaust when making U-turn. `88 Honda Accord lxi

After an automobile accident the steering reservoir was crushed spilling the
fluids onto the pavement while the engine continue to idle for a lengthy time
and driven a couple miles. Days after the repairs were made the steering began
to leak from the gearbox. A month later the high pressure power steering hose
began to squirt (from the center of the rubber hose) upon every U-turn. It will
spray the exhaust creating a plume of smoke. Genuine fluids were used.

I am now deciding whether I should replace the pump (which has a relief valve
that may be broken) or to replace the gearbox (which may have damaged
seals.) The service manual lacks a normal operating pressure spec for the
pump. How do I determine which component(s) needs replacing?

Thanks