Old June 1st 05, 07:53 PM
Steve W.

That flat black look is NOT primer. It is regular paint treated with a
flatting agent to make it a flat color. NO PRIMER will last without a
top coat.
If your not really concerned about the final look take it in and have
the entire truck shot with bed liner.

--
Steve Williams
Near Cooperstown, New York

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi group -
> I have an '82 F-100 longbed that has a few rusty spots. I want to just
> get that "rat-rod" look of black primer, so I was thinking:
> buy 2 (?) gallons of flat black primer
> sand the rust spots (quarter sized), spray with aerosol MetalPrep,

wash
> it and rinse it really well, take it to Maaco, and ask them to spray

on
> the primer for $200 or so...
> I can't work on cars in my apt. complex, and spray cans look VERY
> crappy. I just want a CHEAP flat finish to carry my motorcycle around
> in.
> The truck is off-white now, and I know Maaco would not satisfy me with
> the results of a new paint job.
> Lots of trucks have this flat primer finish here in west Georgia, but
> now I'm afraid just primer alone is too porous, and the rust will

start