Old May 21st 05, 07:35 AM
aarcuda69062

In article >,
Edward Strauss > wrote:

> It is not approved for automotive use in the U.S.

Actually, it is not approved for automotive use on public roads
and highways. You can put it in your car and drive around your
own private property all you want.

> It is not illegal to
> sell or own...

No one said it was. The OP posted to rec.autos.tech, so it's
implied that he was inquiring about using it in a street driven
vehicle.

> People love to scream "illegal" from a keyboard.

Your imagination is running wild...

> Run into a shop or store that has the stuff on a hot day and try screaming
> "illegal" and see how it goes...

Pointless since it's sold in droves at any hardware store,
usually in the same isle as propane torches and soldering irons,
or, in with the camping equipment.

> > > It is no more dangerous than
> > > that large tank with gasoline that rides behind you when you are driving
> > > your vehicle.

> > The fuel system is specifically designed to store and transport flammable
> > fluid. The A/C system is not.

> In a new vehicle. Once the years and rust sets in it is another story.

Exactly. So, adding another flammable failure point makes sense?

> In any serious motor vehicle accident there is always the threat of fire
> from the primary fuel source.

Is it raining where you are, because I think your straw man is
starting to rot.

> Now we have hybrids that are a lovely mix
> of high voltage and gasoline. I would use Hot Shot in something like that
> just for spite.

Cars have been high voltage and gasoline since 1975.
FYI, the brand name "Hot Shot" refrigerant is an acceptable
substitute according to the EPA.
What was it you said about "screaming" from the keyboard?

If you want to do something for spite, try robbing a bank,
there's more money in it.