Old March 10th 05, 08:09 AM
Wolfgang Pawlinetz

Oslo wrote:

>OK, drive at whatever speed you like. I am an Audi mechanic and worked on
>many A4s in the UK, and I personally wouldn't drive an A4 at that speed, as
>in my opinion, the car is far too lightweight to be safe at nearly 200KMh.

The S4, which is the same weight class as an A4 can go faster easily.
Many A4 are regularly driven faster than that on German Autobahns and
nobody really has a problem with that.

The A4 is not exactly a lightweight car. It's around 1.4 metric tons?

And moreover, the same would be true for BMW's and Mercs.

I just looked it up: The Porsche 911 has around 1450 kg and nobody
would question it's ability to go way fast quite safely.

IMO there is no real relation between speed safety and weight as long
as lift and drag are figured in properly.

>If I was ever going to drive at that speed, I would only do so with an A6 or
>higher. Just because its legal, doesn't mean it's safe,

It does in most circumstances, otherwise it wouldn't be legal. If it
does make sense is another question.

>you need to use your
>own judgement that your vehicle can sustain balance and handling at these
>speeds.

But what has that to do with weight?

Regards

Wolfgang