Old December 7th 04, 03:27 AM
Ray

Lawrence Glickman wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 20:51:47 +0100, Yvan > wrote:
>

>>Nedavno Mike Behnke pise:
>>
>>| Highly doubtful. In fact, probably worse.
>>|
>>| Bite the bullet and get the Factory Service Manual's.

>>I probably will.

> I think there is some *online* service, don't remember the name
> offhand, and they have your service manual *online.* You subscribe on
> an annual fee basis; something like $25 a year or some such. Can't
> remember the name, but, that is the way I would go.
>
> A -physical- shop manual weights 20 pounds, takes a day to put
> together into the binders, and is a monstrosity. And unless you're
> changing out the rod bearings on your pistons or something, it seems
> to be a *bit* of overkill for most repairs you would make as a
> hobbyist.

A computerized shop manual is a PITA to browse through.
I'm a computer guy, my machines are in the house. No PC in the garage
yet. And I'm not touching my laptop after working on a car - way too
greasy.

And a shop manual is pretty much ESSENTIAL for ODB-II diagnostic
procedures. Good luck diagnosing a P1039 with a Haynes manual that
covers 4 engines over 9 years and 2 nameplates. (93-02 Camaro/Firebird
for example.) The diagnostic section for ODB-II is probably thicker
than the entire Haynes manual.

Ray

Ray