Old July 18th 05, 03:32 PM
Scott en Aztlán

On 18 Jul 2005 05:30:51 -0700, "N8N" > wrote:

>I don't understand this obsession with "sloth coasters..."

It's pretty simple: they needlessly block the road, reducing overall
capacity and throughput. I can't count the number of times I've missed
a left turn arrow because some inconsiderate Sloth Coaster saw a red
light up ahead and decided to just roll up to it at 20 MPH (in a 50
MPH zone). By the time I can get into the left turn pocket, my window
of opportunity is closed, and I have to wait through an entire light
cycle - and all because some asshole thought HE was the most important
driver on the road.

>Often when
>approaching a red light I will start coasting down well back from the
>light, then when it turns green all I have to do is drop a gear or two
>and blow past all the people that ran up to the light at full speed and
>then had to stop for it. Saves wear and tear on the car as well as
>gasoline.

That's fine - just do it in the middle lane so that you don't
needlessly block the entrances to right or left turn pockets. That's
just basic courtesy.