Old July 7th 05, 01:40 AM
Cory Dunkle

"RichA" > wrote in message
> On 6 Jul 2005 06:04:07 -0700, wrote:
> How come when the Mustang v8 sported about 210hp (1986?) it ran a
> second faster 0-60 than the "210" hp v6 does now? That 210 (I'd say)
> is highly optimistic.

I'm sure both cars make ~210 HP. The engines probably have comparable HP
levels, but the thing is that the 6 banger is a torqueless wonder. It takes
toqque to move cars. 6 bangers don't have the torque of a V8, which is why
you will often see base model V6 cars have lower gearing than V8 cars,
either in the rear or as a first gear ratio in the transmission. They need
that additional torque multiplication to maintain reasonable performance.
The V8 cars have more torque to begin with and can therefore do without the
lower gear ratios. This is why many V6 and V8 models only have a couple MPG
difference. In some cases you will find V6 cars get a more MPG in the city
while V8 cars get a more MPG on the highway.

To get back to the particular topic at hand, fuel economy for the '05
Mustang between the V6 and V8 models with automatics transmissions is
negligible, with what might amount to a noticeable difference between the
manual transmission versions on the highway.

V6 auto: 19/25
V8 auto: 17/25
V6 manual: 19/28
V8 manual: 18/23