Old July 14th 06, 06:46 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Arif Khokar

Default The NHTSA strikes again!

Mike T. wrote:

> I don't know about that. Seems to me that Toyota is doing everything right.
> OK, so they goofed in the design phase (forgot the LATCH). But they fessed
> up, and were trying hard to work with the NHTSA to make it right. In
> contrast, they could have just tried to push it under the rug, but then the
> NHTSA would have found out eventually. Imagine all Toyota trucks being
> crushed because they have no LATCH on them.

Toyota has done stuff like this before. A year ago, they tried to file
a petition for inconsequential noncompliance because the DRLs were
mounted too high on one of their SUV models. Fortunately, the NHTSA
rejected their petition, so they ended up disabling the DRLs.