Old July 13th 06, 09:39 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
gpsman

Default The NHTSA strikes again!

Brent P wrote: <brevity snip>
> http://www.cnn.com/2006/AUTOS/07/11/...all/index.html
>
> Toyota's totally bizarre recall
> Why would Toyota issue a recall designed to make vehicles less safe?

The article spells out in terms almost impossibe to confuse why the
recall was issued. Short answer: They had to.

> <...>
>
> The recall, announced Monday, is meant to make Tundras comply with a set
> of safety regulations. The rules say that vehicles built after 2002 must
> have a child-seat anchor system known as LATCH in the front seat if they
> also have a front-seat airbag shut-off switch.
>
> The Tundras in question were built with an airbag shut-off switch but not
> the LATCH system.
>
> Those shut-off switches exist because airbags can injure and even kill
> small children even in otherwise minor crashes.

So who cares? So don't put small children in the front seat... or
don't submit your vehicle to recall.

> Yet another example of federal buracrat logic to protect people from
> themselves.

No, but I understand you might find it a foreign concept that everybody
play by the same rules. That's kinda the way federal regulations work;
it may be a stupid regulation, but the stupidity applies to all.

But this is a non-issue. The Feds ain't gonna force owners to submit
their vehicle to be altered.

All Toyota has to do is send out 160,000 notices... just as any other
manufacturer would have to do. End of story.
-----

- gpsman