Old August 6th 06, 06:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Nirodac

Default 1977 chrysler lebaron lean burn question

"sqdancerLynn" > wrote in
lkaboutautos
..com:

> Does yours still have the big Computer hanging off the air
> cleaner ?. As I remember the lean burn came with a 4bbl
> thermoQuad. The factory used to swap a two BBL
> carb/manifold for the lean burn because it was such a
> problem. They used a carter BBD style carb. Any 2bbl from a
> mid 70's 318 should work. I have several 4bbls that will
> work if you want to change the intake manifold, several NON
> lean buurn thermoquads & a aftermarket #9636 Cry specific
> Carter AFB in good shape, also a factory 77 service manual

Be careful of which carb you get.

When the dealer replaced the LEan burn on my 80 Lebaron 318, he
installed one that didn't have a vaccum advance port. Oh the
port was there, it just wasn't connected internally in the carb.
So while all the hoses looked correct, there was no vaccum. The
car ran for two years with no vaccum advance (mostly stayed
parked, till I inherited it). The two part numbers where
virtually identical, except for the suffix.
You will need to change the dist. The Lean burn used an
electronic controlled dist. You need a vaccum controlled dist.
The dealer at least got the dist right. Using help from posters
on this NG, I did get everything working eventually.
There is a site with instructions on how to change out the lean
burn for conventional. I can't find it right now, you might try
to goggle it. I'll see if I can find it later.
To start with, try www.allpar.com