Old December 15th 04, 09:52 PM
Olaf Gustafson

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 17:46:07 -0800, Scott en Aztlán
> wrote:

>On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 16:00:36 -0700, Olaf Gustafson >
>wrote:
>
>>Does driving a sports car make you a bad driver? Of course not, but
>>you'll pay more in insurance for it.
>>
>>I asked my agent a few years ago how much my insurance would be if I
>>bought a 'vette. He said I'd likely be cancelled.

>You must have a really poor driving record.

Well, I have no accidents that were my fault, or even that the
insurance company considered my fault - no accidents at all for
several years.

Tickets? There was 1 for failure to wear seat belt within 3 years
prior - a couple of speeding tix long before that.

But I should have said they likely wouldn't renew me - yeah, I realize
that's different from being cancelled. I saw it as cancellation of
my annual renewal.

And he said this off the top of his head without consulting my driving
record.

>In general, Corvette insurance rates are actually LOWER than some
>other types of fast cars, like Mustangs. This is undoubtedly because
>every young punk can afford a Mustang, and many buy them (and then
>drive like young punks).

It wasn't a new 'vette, although after consideration I did come to the
conclusion that it was overpriced.

>Corvettes are more powerful than Mustangs,
>but in general only older, more mature people can afford to purchase
>them, so the accident statistics favor Corvette drivers and they get
>relatively low rates.

Must be why you hardly ever see a corvette exceeding the speed limit