Old June 25th 05, 12:54 PM
Larry Scholnick

"Nate Nagel" wrote:
> Larry Scholnick wrote:
>> While driving in our nation's capital yesterday, I saw a configuration that really seemed to make
>> no sense.
>>
>> The signal cycle began with a left green-arrow (with a red ball) for both eastbound and westbound
>> traffic. However, the leftmost lane was marked for Straight OR Left. As a result, if the first
>> car in the left lane was not turning left (which he wasn't required to do), nobody moved during
>> the left green-arrow cycle. Once the left green-arrow went out and the green ball came on, that
>> first car proceeded and the line stopped when the first car that wanted to turn left got to the
>> intersection and waited for oncoming traffic.
>>
>> It seems like left green-arrows are almost useless when there isn't a dedicated left-turn lane.
>> Does this really work out somehow? Am I missing something?

> Nope... where was this light? I don't think I've ever seen a turn arrow where there wasn't a
> dedicated turn lane...

It was on the main drag after exiting eastbound I-66 at US 50; I think it was Constitution Avenue.

>> P.S. I found myself in DC as part of Great Race (www.greatrace.com), a 14-day cross-country
>> driving event from Washington (DC) to Washington (Tacoma).

> Cool... I find myself in DC 'cause that's where I work
>
> Only obviously Great-Race related car I spotted though was a '54 Studebaker... very nice...
> what's your ride if you don't mind me asking?
>
> nate

I'm part of the organizing crew, driving a 2005 Ford Taurus (we don't get to drive the old cars).
If you go to DC today (Saturday), you'll see 100 classic cars lined up near the Capitol, ready to
leave at noon.