Old December 24th 04, 06:34 AM

Big Al wrote:
>>Question:
>>
>>Is 12.5 volts at the battery a normal voltage reading given all accesories
>>running and the car in drive? The car seems to run fine enough, but I want
>>to make sure I dont have electrical/charging problems over the winter.
>>
>>TIA,
>>
>>Chris

> At 2,000 RPM with everything off you should read 13.6 or more. At 2,000 RPM
> the voltage should not change much as you turn on the lights, and heater.
> Check for a slipping belt first. Oil or coolant can make it slip and not
> screech.

At 2,000 RPM, I am seeing ~14.7 at the battery with no accesories
running (the output does fluctuate slightly but not by much, say maybe
+-.2). There is definitely no belt slippage; new belts, proper tension
and no lubrication or glazing on the belts. The engine + compartment is
very, very clean on this car - I would notice fluids immediately.