Old August 28th 06, 02:13 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Heyjohn

Default Storing your car.

John P. wrote:
> Hi, I am going into the military in a few day..which calls for me to
> store my car for only 2 months. Any recommendations, and step to take
> so when i come back it will be as i left it? Thanks!

I once left a car for two months and I would have welcomed a rusty gas
tank and dead battery to what happened to the car. High humidity rotted
most of the flooring out as well as the rocker panels. When I went to
dust it off I found mostly paint along the bottom and very rust metal
underneath.
So, store it in a warm dry place.
If you can find someone you trust, have them start it up once a week
and move it back and forth.
Modern gasoline is not pure gasoline anymore and a lot of it will turn
to syrup and separate into solids. This can plug up the fuel system,
nasty. Your gas tank shouldn't rust as modern cars have a closed fuel
system with an air line runing back to the tank from the engine area.
Make sure the gas cap is on tight.
.. . . anyway, my 'two cents.'