Old July 5th 06, 04:58 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
[email protected]

Default Observations for the day

necromancer wrote:

> The problem with this driver was that he continued to stay in the left
> lane even after the copper and the other two had passed. He could have
> moved over, but chose to obstruct traffic anyway.

If he could have moved over and the lane was clear, then I probably
agree with you.

> > Sometimes you just can't tell by looking.
> > Once, at Independence Pass in Colorado, I had a vapor lock just about
> > exactly at the top of the pass, about 200 feet or so short of a parking
> > lot entrance. The car stopped, I couldn't push it, and the shoulder
> > was very very small. All I could do was pull over for two minutes, as
> > far as I could, and the the vapor lock go away. What to do? 4-ways
> > on, for whatever that might do (traffic is slow there). Might as well
> > look at my map for a minute while I wait. Well, not without some
> > justification, some folks decided that I parked an operating car there
> > just to read the map, and I got an earful of precise but improper
> > language. No much point in getting mad back, and no chance to explain.
> > Der ya go. Moral of the story: not all situations are as they seem.

> Yours was a different situation entirely. You had to pull over due to a
> mechanical problem. IMO, the 5th wheel driver stayed in the left lane
> out of sheer arrogance. Just my opinion, but a raised hood might have
> better communicated "mechanical problem," to approaching drivers (you
> did not indicate if you did this or not).

I wasn't going to be there long enough to raise a hood. It's just one
of those situations where he was making a supportable conclusion based
on what he saw, and had no way of knowing the one extra bit that
changed things. That's why I wasn't upset with him. Life's like that
sometimes. It's also why I've learned to slow down on some of the
conclusion I might otherwise draw about some of the things other people
do.