Old July 23rd 05, 05:54 AM
Steve B.

On 22 Jul 2005 10:55:43 -0700, "Ad absurdum per aspera"
> wrote:

>> I don't really see any harm in waiting until it croaks.

>If it seizes you're going to be stranded, at least with a modern
>vehicle that runs everything off a single serpentine belt. Been
>there, towed that.

It isn't his pulley bearing that is making noise, it is the compressor
that is knocking. Should the compressor seize simply turn off the air
and continue to drive as normal with additional sweat. Unless you are
revving the heck out of the engine when it locks your just going to
get a horrible squealing until you flip off the a/c (or until the belt
breaks if you don't flip off the a/c).

Sounds like you had a pulley bearing go out on yours in which case the
belt is going to burn off in short order.

Steve B.