Old December 21st 04, 07:22 PM
tom

"pheonix1t" > wrote in message
> ZombyWoof wrote:
>
>> Anybody have any recommendations for a new set of meats on a `01Black
>> drop-top? The stock 225/55/R16 Goodyears Eagle LS's were ok, but I
>> have read some really ****ty reviews on most tire sites on the Eagle
>> LS's. Any viable alternatives out there that impressed the hell out
>> of anyone?

> depends what you use the car for!
> Is this a weekend only ride? Is this your 'work' car?
>
> I've had firestones, bridgestones, yokohamas....ALL were better than
> good-year! The firestones were the best! They cost a lot less than
> good-year, traction (snow/wet/dry) was MUCH better than good-year! The
> ride was also better!
> But, this is for a daily driver (car for work). I just rack up the miles
> on it.
>
> I needed the best tires for all seasons. Firestones were amazing.
>

> Oskar

Firestone Firehawks...they came standard on my '96 GT coupe. Got 14k out
of them. Replaced them with same. Got another 14k. Plus, the tread seemed to
"attract" every nail and screw in the road...I must've flattened all eight
tires at least once during their lifespan.

Next episide...went with Coopers at the dealer's suggestion. Bad move there,
too. Tread separation and cupping. And I kept my front end within spec. and
rotated them. At least they lasted 19k before imploding.

Final episode...Yokahamas from Discount Tire. Standard 225/55R-16 @ $139.00.
Not exactly cheap (none of them are!), but what a sweet-riding tire.
Excellent wet/dry traction. I've only racked up 10k on them, but no
uneven/excessive wear...yet. But, just on the basis of driveability, they're
the best tires I've had on this car so far.