Old January 3rd 05, 12:39 PM
dave

>Check. I just the cam mark (on driver's side) to the top edge of the
>head while #1 at TDC. I had messed with that a bit in experimentation.
>The result seems fairly insignificant.

How did you make sure that the piston was at TDC? Did you remove the #1 spark
plug and use a tool, like a straw, to insure the piston was at the top of the
stroke? I always like to check the timing marks on the flywheel with the
actual piston position. :-)

snip

> Oh, and i responce to the ignition quality.. I
>have recently read that in opinion of some experts, Bosch ignition
>systems are relatively of lower quality than the American counterparts.
>The source of this is "The Doctor's step by step guide to optimizing
>your ignition" by Christopher Jacobs of the Jacobs company that makes
>ignition components. What it all seemed to come down to is the
>ignition system's ability to allow greater spark plug gap. Which would
>allow a larger ball of flame initially, so the propogation of
>combustion would be advanced and more complete. What do you >think?

Uhhh does Jacobs recommend purchasing their system? lol
You can possibly purchase a hotter coil, but YOU will have to check out what
options you have including those plug wires too. I would personally stay away
from Jacobs though. IIRC I have heard of them failing from time to time and
they are not free/cheap either. :-(
What spark plugs are you using? Plain W7DCs? I usually see the stock ign.,
like on your 82, will burn out those plugs within a year of driving. I would
install the W7DTCs for a good long life.

Did you do a "tune-up"? New filters, spark plugs, new dist. cap and rotor,
dump some good fuel injection cleaner down the gas tank, etc.?
Did you:
Check those fuel injector seals for air leakage?
Check the distributor vacuum and centrifucal advance operations?
Check the Oxygen Sensor?

later,
dave
(One out of many Daves)