Old December 15th 04, 02:16 AM
James C. Reeves

"The Real Bev" > wrote in message
> "Scott en Aztlán" wrote:
>>
>> In the past I've related how drivers in Tucson are more "courteous"
>> than drivers in other cities. They are constantly doing things like
>> stopping to allow someone to pull out of a shopping center driveway in
>> front of them (oblivious to the fact that they are needlessly delaying
>> 50 other cars that are stuck in the ane behind them).
>>
>> Yesterday, some "good samaritan" in an SUV was stopped at a 4-way stop
>> on the University of Arizona campus. Instead of proceeding when his
>> turn came, he remained stopped and waved on not one but TWO
>> pedalcyclists, one coming from the left and one from the right. BOTH
>> were riding on the sidewalk, and BOTH had stop signs, but Mr. Nice Guy
>> waved them on through. Meanwhile, I and several other vehicles were
>> stacked up behind.

> I was riding my bike as fast as I could in order to make a sharp left
> turn across the 50-foot-wide median strip and continue on. There is a
> 20-foot difference in elevation between the lanes so the hill between is
> pretty steep. If I can't get up full speed I have to shift down into my
> granny to make it. This happens most frequently when cars coming from
> the other direction make left turns down their side of the cross-median
> road and just sit there waiting for me to pass, making me slow down and
> shift in order to pass in front of them and THEN make the turn. Since I
> am zipping diagonally across the three travel lanes heading to the
> cross-median lanes, only the very stupid could have any doubt about my
> intentions.
>
> But yesterday a real jewel saw what was happening and immediately
> finished his turn before I got there, thereby speeding both of us on our
> way. I have to believe he was a bicyclist himself and understood the
> problem.
>
> Don't bother drawing a diagram, just be happy for me! Every once in a
> while something happens that convinces me that the human race is not
> totally doomed.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Bev
> "We've got some stupid people out there. This morning, I woke
> up in a bathtub filled with ice and I had an extra kidney."

The problem is that when a driver goes against protocol, confusion will
occur. With confusion increases the risk of a traffic mishap. People
should follow all right-away rules/laws...take it if it is theirs and
concede it if it isn't. To do the opposite interjects confusion....people
delay since the action is "unexpected", etc. etc. People all of a sudden
don't know what actions will occur next.