Old March 5th 05, 11:47 AM
Catman

156 SP3 wrote:

> There are people on ebay selling a 'mod' to increase the power of any
> car.....seems this is just a resistor added to one of the sensors
> connected to the ECU.

Correct

> Has anyone with an alfa TS engine actually tried this (and willing to
> admit it!!)....is it total ******** as I suspect, or does it really work?
> Is it adjusting the timing or fuel/air mixture?

Exactly that. It probably will increase power over a specific range of
throttle opening, exterior air density and so on. OTOH it will very nearly
certainly decrease the overall drivability of the engine.

> What's the long term
> effect....running lean/rich....failed MOT emmisions....knackered catalytic
> converter....???

Quite possibly.

Look at it this way: If it was really as simple as putting a resistor in to
change the air meter readings, why didn't Alfa do it? There are good
answers to that question, which may have no bearing on *your* specific
circumstances, but I certainly wouldn't risk it.
Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7 75 2.0 TS
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk