Old March 3rd 05, 10:11 PM
fbloogyudsr

"Somebody" > wrote
> "fbloogyudsr" > wrote
>> "Somebody" > wrote
>> > Again, if your air dam is plowing it, snow doesn't touch the underside

> of
>> > your car because it's flat.

>> Two things you have neglected in your discussion.
>> 1) If you try to go through a drift, the front wheels are likely to
>> plane
>> up on the more densely packed snow, then drop down the other side,
>> which puts the car into a teeter-totter on the drift.
>> 2) A car is often higher in the front, either due to weight/loading,
>> or by weight shift (granted, small if you're a smart winter driver), or
>> by the action of the air dam deflecting snow downward.

> 1) I mentioned in my previous post
> 2) short of a huge weight in the back most cars aren't lower in the back.

Wrong. Most BMW's have pretty even weight distribution - figured with
driver only. Add more passengers and the car is rear-heavy. Unless the
car (7-series, wagons) has self-levelling suspension, it's down at the back.

> Some air dams form a wedge to push it downwards, (most bimmers) have a
> wedge
> to push snow upwards.

Wrong. My 330xi will push it down. My '91 525i will push it down.
A modern 5-series has a very rounded front-end when viewed from
the side. Even if the lower edge is quite sharp (possibly M3/M5)
with no fence (and they all have a flexible fence due to curb rash
possibilities), physics tells us that the act of splitting the flow
(of the snow over the edge) will result in upwards force on the dam.
The *only* exception to this would be a perfect snowplow resting
on the perfect plowed surface with no snow between the blade
and surface. Never happen.

Floyd