Old May 30th 05, 04:33 PM
Lee Ayrton

Nathan W. Collier wrote:
> "Ruel Smith" > wrote in message
>
>>Most mechanics turned
>>around 80 book hrs. a week working a 5 day week from 8 AM to 5 PM, with an
>>hour lunch. Do the math: $20 x 80 = $1600 gross/wk = $83,200 per year
>>while working 40 hrs. a week.

> if you honestly believe _any_ dealership mechanic is making $83k a year then
> you have no idea at just how ignorant you are to how it really works. for
> starters, unless youve been there 15 years you arent going to see anywhere
> near $20 an hour. assuming you do eventually see $20 an hour it isnt really
> $20 an hour. manufacturers set how many hours they allow for a repair and
> pay you accordingly. for example, they may authorize 1 hour for changing an
> alternator even though it takes you 3 hours to change it. no matter how
> long it takes, youre getting paid for that 1 hour they allowed. you might
> know dealership mechanics who work 80 hours per week but you can bet your
> scrotum that they arent getting paid for it.

According to the US Department of Labor, median income for automotive
mechanics is about $36,000US, with the middle 50% earning between
$10.61US and $19.84US an hour. See:
<URL:http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos181.htm>

Those interested can go to <http://www.salary.com> and plug in their own
zip code to see what the median income in their area is. (That part is
free but the site looks like it charges for some info.)

The $20/hr plus flat rate to start sounds like an ad from a diploma
mill: "You too can be a highly-paid automotive technician by signing on
now with the Dinkelacker School of Cosmetology, Radio Broadcasting,
Culinary Arts and Auto Repair. Work on actual cars in our state of the
art warehouse! Student loans are available! Call now!"