Old August 22nd 04, 11:38 AM
AlexUK

Jon

I think you should have the alignment checked on the car (all four
wheels £60 now is cheaper than new tyres every 9000 miles). I had a
166 3.0 and managed 22,000 miles on the first set of tyres (Goodyear
F1 17"). I was very impressed with this as I had a 164 Cloverleaf and
that eat four tyres in 10,000 miles. Though this could have been more
to do with lack of traction control (ASR or any other electronic
gizmo). Also the 164 was set up for front toe out (compensate torque
steer) and rear toe in. The 166 front should be set to zero toe
in/out, and the rear with toe in (high speed stability). Not to state
the obvious, but check the tyre pressures. If you are near Winchester
I would highly recommend Micheldever tyres.

As for fuel consumption, that is really low. I used to average 31 mpg
on a motorway at legal speeds, and around 28mpg at higher speeds. I
also averaged 25 mpg on a 2500 mile trip down to Italy with an average
of 80mph through Germany even though there we lots of roadworks, lots
of mountain passes and a fully loaded car.

Alex