Old November 1st 04, 02:45 PM
Richard

> wrote in message
> Daniel, I don't understand. I have Silver Stars in my 97 Cherokee
> Sport and My 96 Plymouth Grand Voyager. They are definitely a big
> improvement over stock. Why do you say they put out less light and
> it's only an illusion that they are brighter?
>

> On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 00:09:32 -0400, "Daniel J. Stern"
> > wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 30 Oct 2004, Shep wrote:
>>
>>> Amen on the short lived Silstar, went thru a set in 7 months on my chev.
>>> trailblazer, bitched to them, got another set on warranty, 7 months
>>> later,
>>> one right after another. It's a shame because they were good, and the
>>> stockers stink.

>>The Sylvania Silverstars make your headlamps put out *less* light. The
>>impression you got that they're "brighter" is nothing more than an optical
>>illusion.
>>
>>So no, it's not a shame.

They start out putting out more light (this is why they don't last too
long), but then Sylvania puts a coating on the bulb to make it look a bit
blue. This may make you think it "looks" brighter, but tests confirm that
the coating significantly reduces the bulbs output. Some coatings (most
coatings) cut light output in half. "Believe it or don't".

Richard.