Old July 4th 04, 02:27 AM
Mad Dog

A full-time case such as a NP203 spins the front axles
all the time, that's why they have manual hubs so you
can disconnect the hubs.
Vehicles with full-time cases prompted people to install
part-time kits in their cases attempting to increase fuel mileage but these
kits usually shortened the life of the transfer case assy.
Part-time cases such as the NP205 enable you to engage 4wd w/o getting out
the truck.
My K10 uses a 12bolt "lincoln-locker" rear axle assy.
and a Dana44 up front w/a locker and manual hubs.
The factory 203 was kicked to the curb and promptly replaced w/a 205 donated
from a '82 K5 and twin-stick from O.R.D.
It don't snow much here in Florida but we do have our share of Sugar Sand
and when it rains we got MUD.
This truck is purpose built for sand & mud,
Leaving the manual hubs in place requires getting out and
walking around as well as selecting 4lo on the shifters when i need
All-Wheel Drive.
the neat part is i can unlock 1 front wheel and have 3
wheel drive if needed for a tight, twisty and slippery trail.
--
Mad Dog

"Master Chief" > wrote in message
hlink.net...
> A standard tranny is NOT any better or worse than an automatic in 4WD.

This is
> BAD information!
>
> The Jeep "SELEC-TRAC" is the best way to go in my opinion. It has a FULL

TIME
> 4WD setting. A good FULL TIME 4WD will help a lot!
>
> I've seen BFG MUD tires spin in packed snow and ice. What do you expect,

its
> ICE!!!
>
> I learned from this group that the Michelin LTX M/S is about the best tire

you
> can get for snow and ice.
>

> >yes yes and yes, any part time 4wd system can handle deep snow

effectively,
> >things that help make it better, number 1 is good aggressive tires,

number 2
> >aggressive tires, a standard transmission will outperform an auto tranny

in
> 4wd
> >situations, its all i will ever drive off road and in the snow, a limited

slip
> >rear dif is very important, a powerful motor helps a lot as well, i find

a lot
> >of 4cyl and 6cyl 4wd's lack enough power to muscle through deep snow and

slush
> >with ease, the 3 vehicles you mentioned are as good as any, but proper

setup
> >makes all the difference, my ram is like a bulldozer in the snow, but i

have
> >all the good stuff, awesome tires, heavy vehicle(7k lbs), a std tranny

with a
> >granny 1st gear, plus 4:10's in the rear, a limited slip, and a v-10, i

have
> >yet to meet a new england snowstorm that has given me hard time as of

yet, and
> >we had some good ones! a couple of 2 footers a bunch of 1 footers, last

year