Old June 24th 05, 02:04 AM
Jumpin' Jiminy

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 23:00:47 GMT, "Pi-Eyed Piper" >
wrote:

>So what are some spark options after I get done my HEI install this weekend?
>Is it a really bad idea to run 7MM wires?
>
>thanks

I upgraded my 85 cj7 to an HEI and the best advice I can give you is
to power the HEI directly from the battery and switch it with a relay.
I mounted my relay beside the starter solenoid and used the +12v
connector on the solenoid for a power source.
The difference from running it off the switched power circuit is very
noticeable.
I don't know about the 7mm wires though. It can only result in a drop
in performance so why bother.
Other issues I had were with the oil dipstick placement and an overly
efficient relay that would stay powered on at 7v. This meant there was
enough residual from the alternator to keep it energized. Wiring it to
the other switched 12v cct meant no spark when cranking over. I solved
this with a diode OR to the starter solenoid. This circuit becomes
freed up when you lose the old ignition.
I presume you have the needed gear? The gear from my old distributor
had too large a diameter hole and was unuseable. I have heard that
with some distributors the old gear just has to be ground down.
This wasn't true in my case.
I'm tempted to try the Crane adjustable centrifugal advance kit. It's
supposed to increase the power band a bit.

JJ